The personal blog of a Deferred Genius.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Sarah Palin for President?

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this. First, yes, the title of this post is misleading. She's actually been picked for the number 2 spot of VP, but should McCain kick the bucket, like all the jokesters jest, she'd be PRESIDENT. Is she ready? Wait...is Obama?

Ok, I'll stick to the topic at hand. As soon as Sarah Palin was noted as John McCain's Vice President pick, I got a call/text message from a friend asking if this effectively "stole" my Hillary vote. I thought the idea of this was ludicrous! Anyone that's voting on the issues would still have to think long and hard about the candidates, and the fact that Sarah Palin is a woman, doesn't change my opinion of who most aligns with the issues I hold near and dear. Add to that: I DON'T KNOW SARAH PALIN! I've "known" Hillary since before I was a teenager, and while she's not perfect, she surely has grown on me, thus there's a sentimental factor that made me push harder for her to get the Democratic nomination, and be all the more disappointed when that didn't happen! Sarah Palin now being introduced to the "national landscape" doesn't sway my vote simply because she lacks a Y chromosome! It's actually rather offensive that someone would assume that because I'm a woman, she'll get my vote! It's just as silly as people who assumed that Barack would have my vote in the bag automatically as well.

If anything, Palin's nomination worries me. I'm not so much concerned about "deflecting Hillary supporters "as I am about white, middle-class conservative soccer moms who'll identify with this "everyday woman" that drinks beer, hunts, is a lifelong member of the NRA, knows how to take charge while still baking cookies, and believed in anti-abortion so much that she had a child she knew would be sick!

The bottom line here is that I'm once again excited about the political process. Not so excited that I actually get more politically involved, but I do care more about what's happening politically. I now think the Presidential race JUST GOT INTERESTING!

All the people looking for "change" now have that from the republican party, and while many see it as a feigned attempt to "snow" the american public with smoke and mirrors and keep them away from "the real issues", others view Palin's nomination as a breath of fresh air! She's everything that McCain is NOT! She shores up the "conservative base" AND she's a pretty white woman! I don't know if you've noticed this, but pretty white women RARELY LOSE ANYTHING! LMAO.

1 comment:

Genius said...

does that mean you might be more likely to vote and still vote democrat?
at feminist philosophers there was a suggestion it might encourage non votes for Obama (I think he meant ambivalence)

I thought Biden made for a fairly Boring VP it effectively made the election less exciting which I thought was no good for Obama.

About Me

My photo
Write as little or as much as I'd like, up to 1200 characters. Again, I feel limited. In a nutshell, I'm an exceedingly genuine person experiencing an exceedingly tedious series of events. I'm in my early 30s. I'm a college graduate (several times over), and recently lost a job that didn't in any way allow me to live up to my life's potential! "Deferred Genius" refers to the current state I'm in where I could take the world by storm, if only given the opportunity. I'm trying to now capitalize on the POTENTIAL that I have and raise $100,000 for a business opportunity primed to be a multimillion-dollar enterprise. I COULD USE AN ANGEL INVESTOR!