The personal blog of a Deferred Genius.

Friday, September 12, 2008

On "Tyler Perry's 'The Family That Preys'"....(SPOILER ALERT)

...I just got back from seeing "Tyler Perry's The Family That Preys", and I must say, I was so excited about this film that I almost left work an hour early, because I didn't want to be in a crowded movie theater on Friday night, because I knew it would be PACKED! I arrived at the early evening show, and thanks to the slow concessionist, I missed the first few minutes of the film. :(.

As the movie progressed, I quickly realized the feeling I was having was NAUSEA! I felt a bit sick to my stomach to see Tyler Perry pandering to the same old Hollywood formula of the "faithful Negro" that sits by in a subservient position to their "all knowing" and wealthy white counterpart. That really pissed me off! I expected more from Tyler! In fact, I was so mad, I actually wrote him an email, which I doubt he'll ever see, but my mind is now clear! LOL.

As always, I took a few notes, so I'll just run of the litany of thoughts that I had in random order, and maybe try to make this "review" make some sense in the last few sentences! LMAO.

My random thoughts on "The Family That Preys":
  • STEREOTYPES: There were so many stereotypical roles here! Not just the "high-class, wealthy white woman with the poor Black inner city friend" stereotype, but also that of the "evil, educated Black woman". I know this is the type of role that resonates with people, especially those without degrees or those who feel Black folks "get uppity" when they succeed at completing a college degree. I know that it's always easier to pander to "the masses", but the "standard box" that Sanaa Lathan was put in was just so tired. Must ALL educated Black women be "stuck up"? Do all the "non-educated" family members have to be resentful and quick to "pull your card" on how "uppity" you think you are now that you've "gotten your little degrees"? I guess so. And here's another lame, though tried and true Black movie favorite: "The Faithful Brother". Oh, Rockmond Dunbar was truly getting on my damn nerves with the "goody-two shoes" act, and it occurred to me that he's probably being typecast now as "the nice guy", but damn if he wasn't that UNTIL HE SLAPPED THE SH!T OUTTA SANAA'S CHARACTER! That was SO not cool, and the fact that he faced no repercussions for that behavior isn't cool either! It sends the message "it's okay to slap Black women, if they piss you off", and I could never agree with a man doing that! EVER! Of course, even after that, he redeems himself and gets the business he always wanted. I think we're supposed to get the impression that he decided to be the bigger person and "help out" Sanaa's character at the end of the movie when we see him hand her some money, and he kisses the little boy (that's not really his son).
  • RIDICULOUSNESS: Here's something I HATE to see: a rich friend with a broke-ass best friend? What kind of damn sense does that make? There's no way in hell I'm gonna have a friend that's loaded with mansions and sh1t, and I'm sitting in the hood "struggling"! That's bullsh1t! Though this may just be folklore, I've heard that when Oprah became a millionaire, she gave Gayle $1,000,001, so she could be a millionaire too. I thought that was the GREATEST and I decided then I'd do that for my friends when my millions start rolling in! LOL. The idea that somehow this friendship is maintained, even while one teeters on the brink of poverty is RIDICULOUS, and I know later in the movie, we find out that Alfre Woodard's character really isn't broke, but 3/4ths of the movie gives that perception, so "fixing things up" in the last 15 minutes doesn't change much in my opinion. SMH.
  • TYPECASTING? I think Sanaa Lathan's going from being considered as "the good girl" to slut/b1tch. She's slowly but surely taking on these roles that get her farther and farther away from the "Girl Next Door" and closer and closer to the "Home-wreckin' hussie"! I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Is that what one gets a Yale Masters degree in Drama for? Add to that, this is the SECOND time she's been with a white boy (no wait, third, she was cheatin' on Dean Cain in "Out of Time"), are we seeing a pattern here? Is she dissing the brother man for the "other man"? Let me stop! LOL. I just noticed she's finding herself in the company of a number of white men lately...I'm sure I ain't the only one that noticed!
  • ROBIN GIVENS NEEDS A BEAT DOWN: I just haven't liked her since she was on "Head of the Class". Can someone please beat her ass?! LMAO. Her character was bland and so superficial to the film's plot. She might as well have not been there, or better yet, he could have given a "no name actress" a shot, and it would have been just as good!
  • GREAT MAKEUP! Lawd hammercy Alfre Woodard's makeup was GREAT! I wish I could get my lips to look like that! LOL.
  • TERRIBLE HAIR: Every damn Tyler Perry movie gets on my damn nerves with those STRAY HAIRS ON THE ACTORS HEADS! It happens ALL THE TIME!!! I'm guessing he does it because he wants the films to look "more authentic" in some way, but it just annoys the hell outta me! Makes me wanna take a brush and some "let's jam" to each one of their hot ass mess heads! CTFU.
  • TYLER PERRY'S HAIR WAS A HOT DAMN MESS! Whoever sewed that wig needs to be horsewhipped! LOL.
  • KILL THE SOUTHERN ACCENTS PLEASE! Nuff said! That forced southern drawl got on my nerves the whole damn movie! So unnecessary!
  • SOMMORE JR.: Who was the chick playing the office secretary? Was that Sommore's bastard child? CTFU. Had to be!
  • BEING "SUPER SAVED": Did Alfre Woodard's character have to be so "super saved"?! I mean, I know folks love the Lord, and enjoy church, be she was just being the stereotypical "overly churchy" Black woman, holding on to "the old rugged cross" as an excuse to not fully live her life or have any fun. That was just sad. But her throwing Holy Oil on that male stripper was HILARIOUS! LOL.
  • HELPING THE HOMELESS: I can ALWAYS spot a "diamond in the ruff". When I saw "Nick" the homeless guy, I was thinking "that bastard is too fine to be homeless, I could get him, clean him up, and we could be REAL happy together"! I knew all he needed was a new suit, a shave, and some soap and water! His role was so kitschy it made me throw up in my mouth a little bit! SMH.
  • NO FRIENDS?: Was Alfre Woodard Kathy Bates' character only friend? I know that had to be the most grammatically f*cked up sentence ever, but you get my point! ROFL. That funeral scene was looking pretty paltry! How is it that someone so rich and seemingly full of life couldn't have a "packed funeral"? Moreover, how did Alfre Woodard turn out to be her best and only real friend?
  • ENTREPRENEURIAL STAGNATION: Why were Tyler and the other characters so afraid to start their own business? Maybe it's because I'm an aspiring major media mogul with entrepreneurial goals, but that just seemed a bit forced too. There's no way I would encourage someone to go into business with me if they had so much damn hesitation and didn't believe in themselves or my idea. In fact, there are people I've "left in the dust" thus far for that very reason! You don't need people that don't believe in, and can help you propel your thoughts and ambitions into action! :)
  • STOP KILLING OFF KATHY BATES!: Ok, I might be in the minority here, but: I'M SICK OF KATHY BATES SUICIDES!! Quit killing her off! LOL. I had to deal with this in "Primary Colors", now they do it again 10 years later! I can't take this!
All this being said: I'll still support Tyler Perry and continue to be the first to see his movies and plays! While I didn't particularly care for this movie, I'd still recommend it to others because we really need to continue to support this Black man working and making a name for himself in Hollywood (even if I think his latest effort is pure tripe).

Alright, that's about all I can think of now. I know it's discombobulated and probably doesn't make much sense to anyone, especially if they haven't seen the movie. I also know that my ONE READER probably won't have any idea what I'm talking about, but I write this in hopes that ONE DAY I'll perhaps have a SECOND READER and they'll be able to laugh out loud at my latest cinematic experience! :)
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re: TYPECASTING?
Dean Cain is Asian. OK, not completely Asian, but Asian enough to me to not be considered a White boy either.

And as much as I adore Denzel...I'd go for Dean, he is sexy :P

About Me

My photo
Write as little or as much as I'd like, up to 1200 characters. Again, I feel limited. In a nutshell, I'm an exceedingly genuine person experiencing an exceedingly tedious series of events. I'm in my early 30s. I'm a college graduate (several times over), and recently lost a job that didn't in any way allow me to live up to my life's potential! "Deferred Genius" refers to the current state I'm in where I could take the world by storm, if only given the opportunity. I'm trying to now capitalize on the POTENTIAL that I have and raise $100,000 for a business opportunity primed to be a multimillion-dollar enterprise. I COULD USE AN ANGEL INVESTOR!